Yoga pants are the hottest and most comfortable trend of the 21st century. But do yoga pants keep you warm in the cold months? Let us find out.
Yoga pants came into existence at the end of the 19th century. Lululemon first manufactured and sold these pants. Soon many other companies started manufacturing them by using different ratios of Lycra and nylon.
Today, you cannot imagine a world without yoga pants. People no longer use them only for yoga or exercise. Yoga Pants are casual wear, and men and women love them due to their comfort.
Companies create yoga pants in various sizes and designs. Their versatility makes them popular among all age groups. Some people believe that another benefit of yoga pants is to keep you warm. But is it true?
What Makes Yoga Pants Warm?
Yoga Pants have a blend of different fabric materials. The main constituent of the yoga pants is a synthetic fabric called Lycra.
Lycra is composed of polyester and polyurethane. Lycra is heat resistant which means that in summer, it would not allow heat to get past your body, and in winter, it would not allow heat to escape your body.
Moreover, special yoga pants for winter are fleece lined. Manufacturers obtain fleece fiber from synthetic and natural sources, proven to be a blessing for winter clothes. Fleece yarn makes any piece of cloth automatically warm and cozy.
Different manufactures use different ratios of Lycra and other materials to make winter yoga pants comfortable and warm.
You might like to read: Can You Wear Yoga Pants Horseback Riding?
Yoga Pants are tight-fitting pants that naturally generate compression in the fat tissues of your lower back, belly, thigh, and lower legs.
Compression helps your body generate heat. As discussed before, yoga pants do not allow this heat to escape. Therefore it keeps you warm all the time.
Also, yoga pants are made of moisture-wicking material, which lets go of the sweat but retains the heat.
To sum up, yes, yoga pants keep you dry, comfortable, and warm on chilly winter days.
Pros and Cons of Yoga Pants
Why Should You Wear Yoga Pants?
Many women have incorporated yoga pants into their lives like no other clothing because of their huge list of pros.
- You can exercise and sweat as much as you want without feeling any bit of moisture as they dry off quickly due to their moisture-wicking nature.
- They called “yoga” pants which is justified because of the variety of poses you can do while wearing them. Yoga pants are highly stretchable and durable, thus perfect for other forms of stretching exercises as well.
- They have become trendy for both men and women due to their versatility. You can wear them with any top and for any occasion, be it a brunch, a grocery run, or even for work.
- Yoga pants are quite stylish and figure flattering. They make you look thinner and toned. They make your legs look skinnier, your waist thinner, and gives your bum density. Thus, giving an illusion of a perfect hourglass figure.
- Yoga pants have a breathable fabric, which makes them highly comfortable. If you feel that comfort comes first, yoga pants are definitely for you. They keep you warm and cozy while allowing you to do all types of work.
You might like to read: Best Yoga Pants For Pear Shaped Women: Top 7 Choices
Why Should You Not Wear Yoga Pants?
Well, there is no harm in wearing yoga pants within reasonable limits. Their harmful effects come into play when you start wearing them all the time.
- Many cases have been reported where women who wore yoga pants all the time developed serious skin issues like rashes and bacterial infections. In extreme cases, it could lead to problems like folliculitis. The reason for such skin issues is that the sweat gets trapped in your yoga pants, especially if you have done a rigorous routine, which ultimately leads to rashes. Moreover, as it generates heat, it also causes some sweat. Most of the sweat dries up, but it makes the area humid and warm, which is ideal for the growth of microorganisms such as fungus and bacteria.
- Wearing the same pair of yoga pants afterwards, in which you did a high-intensity yoga routine could lead to sweat and bacteria being trapped in the yoga pants and can cause sweat pimples.
- Yoga pants might constrict your blood circulation if you wear them the whole day. This is especially true if your yoga pants are tightly fitting. This could make your legs feel numb and fuzzy.
- Yoga pants are good for mild winter days, but they would not help once the temperature falls below a certain point.
You might like to read: What Do Yoga Pants Feel Like?
Other Pants That Will Keep You Warm
Fleece-lined leggings are very popular during winter. Fleece-lined leggings are normal leggings lined with a layer of fleece which are knitted synthetic fibers. The fleece lining will make you feel cozy and keep your warm.
Fleece-lined leggings are also very comfortable and stretchable. They come in various colors and designs. You can pair it up with any top or wear them under a long dress to keep your legs warm.
You might like to read: Do Yoga Pants Stretch Over Time?
Thermal leggings are made of 2-ply fabric. That is, they have an added layer of either cotton wool or synthetic fiber. The two-ply structures act as an insulating layer.
Thermal leggings do not let body heat escape, thus keeping you warm for a long time. Thermal leggings are usually worn as an undergarment during winters. They are also a cost-effective solutions for winters.
Cottonwool Thermal pants
Cottonwool thermal pants are unisex pants. These are very similar to thermal leggings. They are made of cottswool, which is caused by mixing cotton and wool threads in varying ratios.
Wool ensures warmth and insulation of body heat, while cotton provides breathability to the material.
Since they are very thin and comfortable, you can easily wear them under your normal clothing. Thermal pants do not add extra volume to your clothes as they are just two layers of fabric.
You might like to read: Is It Ok To Wear Yoga Pants In Public?
These are hybrid sweatpants that have a lining of fleece. Sweatpants are known for their compressing factor. Compression gives rise to heat which is a great source of warmth in winter.
A lining of fleece ensures that the body heat does not escape the pants. Fleece lining also contributes to additional warmth and comfort.
Ski pants are made of synthetic fibers, including nylon and polyester. These pants are also called snow pants.
The mixture of polyester and nylon results in the waterproof nature of these pants. These are very light, breathable pants that are perfect for snowy winters.
These are mostly loose-fitted as compared to leggings or yoga pants. They does not provide much warmth; rather, prevent water or cold wind to pass through them.
These are simple joggers lined with fleece to add extra warmth. These are comfortable and cozy.
You can wear them while running or doing other cardio exercises. You can also wear them casually by pairing them with any top or t-shirt of your choice.
You might like to read: What To Wear With Grey Yoga Pants?
Quilted trousers are made by stitching two layers of fabrics with pads or air pockets between them. For the longest time, these clothes dominated the winter wear market.
The padding provides good insulation that keeps you warm even on the chilliest days of winter.
Fleece Track Pants
These are simple track pants lined with fleece. You can wear them at home or for regular use. These are easy to get into, unlike leggings or yoga pants.
These pants are perfect for quick grocery runs, walking, running, etc., during winter.
Answers To More Questions About Pants That Keep You Warm
What type of pants keeps you the warmest?
Quilted trousers provide maximum insulation, therefore keeping you the warmest. You can also try pairing two warm garments if you live where winters are very harsh. For example, you can wear thermal leggings inside your quilted trousers or fleece-lined track pants.
Are yoga pants good for winter?
Yes, yoga pants are good for winter as they provide heat by compression. Its fabric is also thick and acts as an insulator. They might not be effective when the temperature is too low.
Do jeans or leggings keep you warmer?
Some types of leggings, like fleece-lined leggings, are designed to keep you warm. Normal leggings are too thin and fail to provide any insulation during winter.
Yoga pants are potential leg warmers as they provide both compression and insulation. Since they are made of synthetic fibers like lycra and nylon, they provide good insulation. Lycra is heat resistant, thus prevents body heat from escaping.
Yoga pant manufacturers have also come up with fleece-lined or warm-lined yoga pants that provide added insulation.
Yoga pants are now in use even in winters. You can also try alternatives such as thermal trousers or fleece-lined clothing, popular in the winter apparel market.
Stay Warm! Happy Yoga!